Master Builders respects our obligation to protect the privacy of the personal information of individuals with whom we deal, in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (‘APPs’) of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act).
What personal information does Master Builders collect and hold?
Master Builders only collects personal information as defined at law (information/opinion about an individual who can reasonably be identified from that information/opinion) that is reasonably necessary for our functions or activities, or is required or permitted by law.
Master Builders collects personal information from a variety of sources – for example when:
- people post comments and information via our social media sites – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube;
- people sign-up as registered customers, subscribe to our mailing lists, purchase products or provide feedback via our website www.masterbuilders.com.au;
- a person contacts us (including via the email and telephone details listed on our website) asking for information or advice about Master Builders or local Master Builders Associations;
- we liaise with individual officers, employees and other representatives of local Master Builders Associations;
- we liaise with government agencies, industry bodies, unions and other stakeholders and organisations in the course of promoting the viewpoints and interests of the national building and construction industry;
- we conduct events or deliver training;
- we research policy issues;
- we record who we have had contact with in relation to media or other public relations events;
- we manage our corporate and personnel functions, including when people apply for or enquire about employment opportunities with us; and
- we otherwise engage with people in the course of pursuing our objects and managing our corporate functions.
We do not collect sensitive information (e.g. information about an individual’s race, ethnic origins, political opinions or association, trade or professional associations and memberships, union membership, criminal record or health information) unless:
- the individual has consented to the collection of the information and the information is reasonably necessary for one or more of Master Builders’ functions or activities; or
- the collection is required or permitted by law.
We may also collect personal information through:
- “Cookies”, “IP addresses” and “session tokens”. We use software on our website and servers called cookies and session tokens, which store information and enables our website to recognise individuals’ web browsers and remember certain information to assist individuals’ future use of our website. Your IP address may also be stored as an additional security measure and may be used to identify you; and
- Recording information individuals give us, e.g. if we record telephone conversations with individuals for training and monitoring purposes (we will only do this with individuals’ consent when they call us, and individuals will have the option to ‘opt out’ of recording).
How and from whom does Master Builders collect personal information?
Master Builders only collects personal information by lawful and fair means.
Master Builders usually collects personal information about individuals directly from those individuals or their authorised representative, as a result of, and in connection with, our on-going business relationship with those individuals.
Master Builders sometimes collects personal information from a third party or from a publicly available source, but only if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect that personal information from the individual.
Why do we collect the personal information?
Master Builders collects personal information:
- necessary for Master Builders to provide products and services requested by individuals and organisations;
- for marketing purposes and to provide information about products and services that may be of interest to individuals and organisations;
- to improve the products and services we provide; and
- to enable us to conduct our business, including meeting our legal and regulatory obligations.
Generally we will tell the individual why we are collecting the information, prior to or when we collect it.
If all or some of an individual’s personal information is not collected, Master Builders may not be able to provide all the benefits, services or products to the individual.
Unsolicited personal information
If we receive personal information about you that we have not requested, and we determine that we could not have lawfully collected that information under the APPs had we asked for it, we will destroy or de-identify the information if it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
Use and Disclosure
How Master Builders uses personal information.
Master Builders will only use your personal information for the purpose for which it was provided to us, for related purposes or as required or permitted by law. Such purposes include:
- in the ordinary course of conducting our business. For example, supplying or acquiring products and services; responding to individuals’ enquiries and feedback; providing information about our events, news, publications and products and services that may be of interest to individuals; and maintaining a relationship with individuals;
- for market research and product and service development, so that we are able to better understand our customers’ needs and tailor our future products and services accordingly;
- in performing general administration, reporting and management functions. For example, invoicing and account management, payment processing, risk management, training, quality assurance and managing suppliers;
- for employment-related purposes, such as recruiting and providing services to staff; and
- for other purposes related to or in connection with our business, including meeting our legal and contractual obligations to third parties and for internal corporate governance purposes.
How Master Builders discloses personal information
Master Builders may disclose personal information to third parties:
- engaged by us to provide products or services, or to undertake functions or activities, on our behalf. For example, processing payment information, managing databases, marketing, research and advertising;
- that are our member Master Builders Associations, business partners, joint venturers, partners or agents;
- that are our external advisers, e.g. where disclosure is reasonably required to obtain advice, prepare legal proceedings or investigate suspected unlawful activity or serious misconduct; and
- as required or permitted by law.
Master Builders will only use or disclose an individual’s sensitive information for the purpose for which it was initially collected (the ‘primary purpose’) or for another purpose only with your consent or if required or permitted by law.
Marketing use and disclosure
Master Builders may use and disclose individuals’ personal information (other than sensitive information) to provide individuals with information about our products and services that we consider may be of interest to the individual. An individual may contact us (see ‘how to contact us’) if they wish to opt out of receiving further marketing offers, via email or otherwise. Direct marketing offers will contain an opportunity to opt out from receiving further communications of this nature.
Master Builders is not likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients, save where it is necessary to provide personal information as part of travel or delegate attendance at International Federation of Asian and Western Pacific Contractors’ Associations (IFAWPCA) meetings or conferences. IFAWPCA organisations and countries are as follows:
- Bangladesh Association of Construction Industry (BACI), Bangladesh
- Builders Association of India (BAI), India
- Construction Association of Korea (CAK), South Korea
- Federation of Contractors Association of Nepal, Nepal
- The Hong Kong Construction Association, Ltd (HKCA), Hong Kong
- Asosiasi Kontraktor Indonesia (Indonesian Contractors Association), Indonesia
- Maldives Association of Construction Industry, Republic of Maldives
- Master Builders Association Malaysia (MBAM), Malaysia
- National Construction Association of Sri Lanka (NCASL), Sri Lanka
- New Zealand Registered Master Builders Federation (NZRMBF), New Zealand
- Overseas Construction Association of Japan Inc (OCSJI), Japan
- Philippine Constructors Association Inc (PCA), Philippines
- Singapore Contractors Association Ltd (SCAL), Singapore
- Thai Contractors Association (TCA), Thailand
- Taiwan General Contractors’ Association (TGCA), Taiwan
Any overseas disclosure does not affect our commitment to safeguarding individuals’ personal information. Where reasonable in the circumstances, our contracts with overseas recipients oblige them to comply with the APPs and the Act. However, individuals acknowledge that, in agreeing to the disclosure of their information to overseas recipients, we will no longer be required to take reasonable steps to ensure overseas recipients’ compliance with the APPs in relation to the individual’s information and we will not be liable to the individual for any breach of the APPs by those overseas recipients. On this basis, individuals consent to such disclosure when supplying their personal information to Master Builders.
Quality of Information
Master Builders will take reasonable steps to ensure that the information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, Master Builders relies on individuals to advise us of any changes or corrections to the information we hold about the individual. An individual is able to contact us (see ‘how to contact us’) and ask for the correction of personal information we hold if the individual believes the information we hold is inaccurate or incomplete.
Security of Personal Information
We take reasonable steps to keep personal information protected from loss and misuse and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. We use a variety of physical and electronic security measures including restricting physical access to our offices, firewalls, appropriate encryption and secure databases.
When personal information that we collect is no longer required, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify the personal information.
Access of Personal Information
An individual may contact us (see ‘how to contact us’) to access the personal information that we hold about the individual. We will respond to such a request within a reasonable period after the request is made. There are occasions where this access may be denied under the exemptions contained in the Privacy Act. If we deny access in some circumstances, we will advise the individual about the reasons.
No fee applies for requesting access to information we hold about individuals. However, we reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee where we do provide access.
Correction of Personal Information
An individual may contact us (see ‘how to contact us’) to correct the personal information that we hold. We will deal with your request within a reasonable period after the request is made. We will take all reasonable steps to correct that information and ensure that, having regard to the purpose for which it is held, the information is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
This policy is available upon request. It will be reviewed from time to time and any amendments will be included in the updated policy.
Making a Complaint
How To Contact Us
For further information contact us at:
The Privacy Officer
Master Builders Australia
44 Sydney Avenue
FORREST, ACT, 2603
Phone: (02) 6202 8888 Fax: (02) 62028877